Tuesday, June 28, 2016

A Short Meditation

Meditation is something I have always liked the idea of, but had convinced myself it wasn't something that was actually useful. I didn't know what it was supposed to look like or how to go about it. To me it was something religious people did, and because of my past I didn't really want much to do with anything that could be viewed as a religious practice. However I have seen several studies on the benefits of mindfulness and meditation. My personal mental health has always been somewhat of a struggle for me. After spending so much of my life trying to forget my problems (so Jesus could deal with them for me) it is hard as a post-religious person to learn to start dealing with them in a healthy manner.

After a hard weekend that brought back all of the pain of when I first came out as an atheist, as well as the sting of family rejection, I was left reeling. For the first time in years I said I wanted to see a therapist. This is a huge thing for me. I have always fought so hard to deal on my own or take medication if possible to avoid the pain. I now want to actually deal with it. I'm scared and I don't know how well I will handle this, but things are to the point where I am having a hard time thinking of much else and this is making living life very difficult. I know something has to give or I will be unhappy for the rest of my life and I don't want that. That brings me back to this meditation thing. While we are figuring out if our insurance will cover any kind of mental healthcare, and if we can afford it, I'm going to try to meditate the pain away.

Still, because of my feelings towards Christianity I will not have a meditation space that looks at all like anything I ever saw in a Christian church. That would be triggering and completely ruin the mood. So I set up an old coffee table with some candles, one of the skulls I've cleaned, some incense, and a box to keep all the little things I may need in. It looks very pagan which makes me happy and helps me relax. I put a pillow down and sat in front of the table put on some “meditation” music and set a timer for 15 minutes. My brain is so full of stuff that I don't really care about. I spent the first 10 minuets thinking of ways to make the meditation space better. Once I was able to give myself something to focus on, a simple phrase: “Be calm and forgive”, I started to feel like this could actually be a thing I do on a regular basis. It felt like something that could help me navigate my way through the things I'm dealing with. It felt like something that could help me grow into a better person and that makes me happy and hopeful.

No comments:

Post a Comment